Below is a brief summary of the service we can provide if you are a non-resident landlord.
If you are preparing for leaving the UK:
- Deal with form NRL1 – Application for exemption from the non-resident landlord tax scheme. Failure to obtain an exemption will result in tax deductions being made at source.
- Apply for the Inspector’s agreement to your residence position, which will determine the extent of your UK tax exposure, and review your circumstances to highlight areas where tax savings may be made.
When you are abroad:
- Correspond with your letting agent to obtain details of rent received together with expenses paid
- Prepare the necessary sections of the UK self-assessment tax Return Form. In all cases this will include the land and property module. Where the property is owned jointly, a tax return will be needed for each owner.
- Calculate your tax liability and agree this with the Inspector of Taxes
- Notify you of payments on account required by the Inland Revenue and advise you if a reduction should be made.
Prior to your return to the UK we shall:
- Complete a full review of your tax position and advise you of any measures you need to take prior to your return to the UK to mitigate any potential tax liabilities
- Correspond with the Inspector to ensure that you are provided with your full entitlement of allowances on your return.
"I'm a foreign national with a fairly complicated freelance and investment income situation. Richard Shaul and Chandlers have been my accountants for five years, and have sorted through matters for me with skill, efficiency and, when requested, against urgent deadlines. A fine job, consistently. I heartily recommend them!"− Bill Wright
"Richard has been my accountant for almost 15 years. He has always delivered a timely, pragmatic and value-for-money service throughout that time. He is able to demystify the complexities of accounting – and tax in particular - and articulate sane and clear advice in layman's terms. I would recommend Richard and his firm without reservation."− Nick Bennett
"I have worked with Chandlers for the last 8 years and have never looked back. Perhaps most importantly, they always make themselves available – offering their very perceptive and professional advice. As a small to medium sized FCA regulated firm I have the upmost confidence leaving our outsourced accounting and payroll functions in Chandler's unquestionably capable guardianship."− Arnoud van Leeuwen
"Richard Shaul has been my accountant for the last 5 years. He's quick and meticulous, and the service he provides is very good value for money. He has a high level of technical knowledge and he's somebody I can talk to and trust. He ticks all the boxes for me."− Antonio (Dentist)
"Approachable, supportive and dejargonized accountancy support - I'd recommend him to anyone. Thank you Richard for all your support over the last 6 years."−
"Sound, sensible advice plus when your work life is really hectic, you can be sure he will keep you on track with those polite deadline reminders which have been priceless. I've recommended Richard to friends and colleagues who have always been more than happy with the guidance he had provided. Couldn't do without him!"−
We prepare all the necessary documents before leaving the UK, manage your affairs whilst abroad and advise you of any measures you need to take prior to your return to the UK.
More info →